Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cover Letter For Graduate Assistant at Tennessee

Dear Mr. Adams:

I am inquiring regarding both the Assistant Hall Director position as well as the Assistant Resident Manager position. I have recently been admitted into the graduate program at University of Tennessee where I will be studying mathematics. After a careful review of these positions, I can see where my background and skill set would be a good fit for the department of housing.

As an undergraduate, I immediately had access to the inner workings of the housing department at the University of Colorado at Boulder. I began as a Community Assistant for the front desk at Farrand Residence Hall, and I was exposed to not only the clerical side of the front desk, but also to the inter-university judicial process for undergraduate residents. As I moved out of the residence halls into off-campus housing, I adjusted my professional position to that of a student assistant for Off-Campus Student Services, where I stayed for the majority of my tenure at CU. Although our focus was on the rights and responsibilities of student-tenants off campus, we heavily corresponded with the Residence Halls including joint presentations to undergraduate students living in the dormitories. Through this experience I learned quite a bit about the overall attitude and growth of students as they moved through their undergraduate occupancy at the university. My interest in the judicial process did not wane, and it led me to become a student member of the Judicial Affairs Hearing Board for the inter-judicial process at the University of Colorado. I was exposed to cases both on and off-campus, and we evaluated with respect to the Student Code of Conduct, and the notion of building community not only with the university community, but the greater Boulder community as well. As an Iranian-American, this point was especially important because we strive to welcome folks of all races, colors, and creeds. I feel these positions and experiences make me a well qualified, diverse candidate who can deal with students in not only an efficient, professional, non-confrontational manner, but also my enhanced perspective of the university experience as a whole will allow me to connect, coordinate, and improve the lives of tenants in the Residence Halls.

Enclosed is a copy of my resume for your review. I would like the opportunity to discuss my interests and qualifications with you. You can most easily correspond with me at 303-918-8187 or at my email address listed above. I will contact you soon to confirm you have received my credentials.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,



Said Parirokh

6 comments:

chelsea said...

Tennessee is the shit.

Sahi V... said...

I was googling for GA letters and pumped into this one!..Helped me a bit tho..thanks...lol :)

Said said...

I didn't get the assistantship, and I learned its who you know, not what you know. Good Luck.

Sahi V... said...

very true!!thank you!

The Queen Of Hearts said...

This helped me as well, thanks! I actually recently applied/interviewed for that position but I have to get in to Tennessee in order to get it. But I won't know until I get in.

Anonymous said...

I think that finding a path in life that both complements and challenges you is precious.very helpful post!@bose

Cover Letter