Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Baby You, You Got What I NeeeeeD.....

The last few weeks my house has turned into a hostel for rock climbers from Tennessee. It seems half the climbing community from Knoxville currently resides in Colorado for the summer, and I can't blame them. It has been really nice to catch up with old friends, and show them some Colorado Hospitality.
The more I mingle with climbers, the more I realize that we are actually quite a worldly bunch. There are few other sports which encourage a lifestyle of travel the way climbers experience travel. Traveling to destinations in remote regions away from the hustle and bustle of the 'tourist' experience, we see, feel, and understand culture better than most. For a long time I felt as though climbing was going to be another sport I'd fall out of after a few years, but I know now the draw is more than just movement and physical activity. There is an intrinsic association with the way we choose to live as well. I love climbing for everything it is off the rock as much as it is on the rock. Next time you go out, and get frustrated by your failures on the rock, remember everything you've learned from climbing off the rock.

Alex F. on Re-Entry Burn at Satellites.

Charlie on Slabrina at 3 Sisters

No comments: