Monday, October 27, 2008

I may never be a Germ Free Adolescent

Anyone who has known me for the last 3 years, also knows of my harrowing tale with the Germ Free Boulder. On a fateful November day, I stepped up anxious to climb this front range classic with the knowledge that the giants of early Colorado bouldering had ascended this line before me. John Sherman and John Gill are a few names that come to mind. As the session progressed so did my uneasiness and anxiety. Egged on by my friends, I commited to the movements, that is of course until I looked down. Struggling to find my breath, feeling the lack of chalk on my hands, I moved to the next hold. I did not make it, and fell hard. The 5 pads and spotters did not do much for my angle of descent. One hairline fracture later, and that was the last day of climbing for almost 12 months, and the first day of Das BooT.

3 years later I returned to this boulder. Still Uneasy. Still Anxious.

At this point I wish I could relay the story of victory and accomplishment, but for me that doesn't seem to be the nature of bouldering. It is filled with more days of crushing defeat than plain crushing, but that is why it is a sport for the headstrong and the will of the heart. In short I will be returning soon to this boulder...Ultimatly to conquer my fear, but also to climb in the footprints of the greats.

Regardless, Matt, Katy, and I had a great day. Perfect temps, good laughs, and stout sandbagged problems. As always, they were followed by beers. And now the pics....


Matt working out the move on the right sit start of GF.

Matt flailing with a foolish face.

Katy allowing me the pleasure of her portrait.

Crossing the river is always a debauchle. Hilarity usually ensues.

1 comment:

T Lit said...

sick photos man. God this is making me insanely jealous. And, yeah I hopped on your mother the other day as well, and got shut down. Hardcore.